A Good old Fashioned Keep Calm message
One of our latest Web adverts being released soon.
MOST tradies are honest, host Chris Hollins tells us, but a few “turn rogue”, as if they’re elite secret agents who stop following protocol.
That cloak-and-dagger theme is carried throughout the episode as Hollins ropes in Roger, an honest tradesman who agrees to carry out some of the more common tradesmen cons on people volunteered by their friends, to see if they fall for them. The presentation is absurd, but then every time I have my car serviced and the mechanic phones me to inform me of all the problems he’s found, there’s a gnawing sense of powerlessness because I have no idea whether what he says is reasonable or not. Beyond the silly hidden camera antics dragged out on shows such as this, there is some useful advice on hiring a tradesman and minimising the chances you’ll be ripped off. While some of it is obvious — get a quote before the start of the job, then get two more from other tradies — I must admit I’m guilty of not always taking these precautions. With this and other shows such as Cowboy Trap coming out of Britain, you have to wonder if they have more shonky tradies or they just like making shows about them. You’d have to pity the honest tradies who must be met with a constant sense of suspicion as a result.
These are our golden rules to help you find a tradesman that you can rely on and to help you get the job done.
If you follow these tips when choosing a tradesman you will maximise your chances of getting a quality job carried out.
1. Understand the job you want doing and have a clear brief on the work you require doing. Being clear in your requirements removes any misunderstandings. Understanding your job and having a clear brief saves lots of waisted time, including your own.
2. Obtain an appropriate number of written and detailed quotes. Generally 3 quotes is considered an acceptable number to get a broad range of prices. Check to see if the quote is prepared professionally and has all the tradesman’s contact details and so on.
3. Use our website to research the background and feedback from other customers on the tradesmen. This will allow you to see exactly how they have worked with other customers which is a very good indicator to how your job will be carried out.
4. Carry out additional due diligence on the tradesman. Are they members of any governing bodies, do they carry any client testimonials, do they have landline/email/website points of contact, do they have public liability insurance and so on. Check with your local trading standards to see if any complaints have been registered. All these items can be checked quite easily nowadays.
5. Select your tradesman based on all factors and not just price. As we tell all customers the price is only one factor and whilst important it should not be the sole deciding reason for selecting a tradesperson. Remember to let any unsuccessful people who have quoted know they have been unsuccessful also.
6. Always try and use a written contract which ensures their is no ambuiguity between tradesman and customer. This should include everything from timescales, payment terms and so on. If neccessary get the contract checked by an independant legal advisor before entering in to it. Understand your cancellation rights as a consumer also.
7. If their are any changes or extras to the work during the course of the job ensure they are put in writing and the time/payment costs incurred due to these changes are agreed by both parties.
If you are instructing a contractor to carry out work and they are not able to provide details of things you ask such as insurance documents or contracts then you should ask yourself the question why. Keeping open and easy communication always helps too when undertaking a project, if you spot something you are unhappy with you should mention it as soon as you notice it.
If you follow these useful tips when choosing a tradesman then this will minimise your chances of encountering poor workmanship.
If in doubt do not hesitate to contact us for free impartial advice.
via Latest Entries.
Find a Tradesman the fast and easy way
If you have ever needed to find a tradesman quickly and easily then we are glad to say that we can help. Tradesman4u.com is proud to introduce its innovative and user friendly website designed to make finding a tradesman easy, quick and free.
The website allows visitors to freely post details of the work they require doing in their home and then the system does the rest. If for example you were looking for a Blackpool Builder
then all you would need to do is select the appropriate options from the dropdown boxes on the homepage and tradesman4u will then instantly notify their registered members by both text and email of the details of your work.
Find a tradesman
From there all the interested builders in the Blackpool area who are available and ready to provide you with quotes will contact you based on the information you provided. They are provided with your name, telephone number and the description you input when posting the job. This makes the process much easier for the customer as the builder has all the details they need in front of them.
Once you have been contacted by the tradesmen interested the customer can sign back into their account and they will see the details of the builders and have the ability to read through previous feedback left by other customers who have used their services.
Once you have instructed your workman and the job is completely you can then return to tradesman4u.com and leave appropriate feedback for them
Why not check it out today.